Rock of Cashel - Legend associates the Rock of Cashel with St. Patrick, but the name comes from Caiseal, meaning "stone fort". There is some evidence of burials and church buildings from the 9th or 10th century, but it was in the early 12th century that the Rock began to be developed into a major Christian center.
The Chapel, named after Cormac Mac Cárthaigh, the king of South Munster who commissioned it, is one of the earliest and best-preserved examples of early Irish Romanesque architecture. Consecrated in 1134, the exterior and chancel of the Chapel are decorated with round arches and chevron designs, and its steeply pitched roof is typical of the 12th Century Irish style. The sandstone Chapel is heavily decorated with carvings and its choir was, originally, covered from floor to ceiling with costly frescoes. Fragments of these can still be seen today. The arch leading to the choir was also decorated with a series of mysterious carved heads.
Hore Abbey on the grounds of the Rock of Cashel Hore Abbey (also Hoare Abbey, sometimes known as St.Mary's) is a ruined Cistercian monastery near the Rock of Cashel, County Tipperary, Republic of Ireland. 'Hore' is thought to derive from 'iubhair' – yew tree. The former Benedictine abbey at Hore was given to the Cistercians by Archbishop David MacCearbhaill (in 1270), who later entered the monastery. He endowed the Abbey generously with land, mills and other benefices previously belonging to the town. A story that is much cited by tour-guides is that he evicted the Benedictines after a dream that they were about to kill him. This is unlikely to be true and probably arises from the Archbishop's 'interference' with the commerce of the city of Cashel. His disfavour of the established orders in Cashel certainly caused local resentment. He was resented by some of the towns-people, being considered too much in favour of the Irish by the more Anglicised. This is evident in the objection by the thirty-eight local brewers to the levy of two flagons out of every brewing and in the murder of two monks who were visiting the town.